The holiday season activates a wide range of feelings for individuals. From feelings of joy, to feelings of loneliness, being aware of how you’re feeling and knowing what to do about it can help bring calmness and inner peace during such a stressful time. Here are some tips for managing stress during the holidays
Tips for Managing Stress During the Holidays:
- Don’t compare yourself to others: Remember that you are your own worst critic. Critical thoughts of yourself are influenced by comparisons and can hinder your levels of happiness
- Practice acts of kindness: Helping others releases dopamine, causing feelings of reward and motivation. Giving compliments or helping others can help bring a sense of empowerment for both the giver and the receiver.
- Appreciate the little things: Instead of focusing on material items, think about what you enjoy doing and how it makes you feel.
- Practice gratitude: Think about the things and people you’re thankful for in your life.
- Do things in small doses: Create a calendar to avoid overextending yourself. Avoid unnecessary stress by remembering to take breaks during your scheduled events.
- Set a zone of privacy: Remember that you always have a right to say “no”. Set boundaries for yourself. Think about what you’re comfortable discussing with others and what topics to avoid talking about.
- Create your own moments: Do something you love. Give yourself something to look forward to
- Give yourself a break: If you find yourself in a stressful situation, step away and take deep breaths. Practice self-care by taking time for yourself. What helps you relax? What is your most comfortable outfit to wear? Where are you most comfortable?
- Be true to yourself and accept others as they are: Avoid taking things personally. Try putting yourself in the other person’s situation to understand their perspective. Remember, excusing yourself for a breather when you start to feel uncomfortable is always an option.
- Practice self-awareness: Set limits for yourself and plan ahead to avoid feeling overwhelmed. How are you feeling? Do you need to take a break?
Manage Stress for good
Clear Recovery Center offers professional help to those seeking to make positive life changes. We understand that everyone’s journey is different. We strive to create a dynamic and tailored therapeutic experience to meet your individual needs.