Bipolar Disorder Treatment in Southern California
Let us help you today.
Bipolar disorder disrupts everyday life. It affects both the person suffering and the loved ones helping them cope. Bipolar Disorder constitutes severe depressive episodes and mania. This causes intense emotional instability. Bipolar Disorder often appears alongside co-occurring disorders. Substance abuse and anxiety can further complicate bipolar disorder.
Our staff at Clear Recovery Center can help. We’ll create a treatment plan so your loved one can live a stable and fulfilling life.
What Is Bipolar Disorder?
Two trademarks of bipolar disorder are:
- Severe episodes of depression
- Bouts of mania
Depression manifests as despondency, lethargy, and hopelessness. Other symptoms can include:
- Lack of interest in activities
- A change in eating or sleeping habits
- Thoughts of suicide
- Concentration issues
Mania refers to highly emotional actions and risk-taking behaviors. Symptoms of mania include:
- Impulsive behavior
These episodes can occur intermittently but are typically consistent.
Bipolar disorder also complicates social interactions. It makes everyday activities difficult. People with bipolar disorder are significantly more likely to abuse drugs and alcohol. This might lead to a drug or alcohol addiction that can also be treated at Clear Recovery Center.
How We Treat Bipolar Disorder
Addressing Bipolar Disorder requires peeling back layers. We have to understand the full extent of a patient’s individual disorder. This requires supervising a person through both depressive and manic episodes, or mixed episodes. A mixed episode can trigger suicidal thoughts (depression) that coincide with joy (mania).
Our treatment involves recognizing the full effect of bipolar disorder in our patients. Bipolar disorder affects:
- Energy level
- Ability to think clearly
At Clear Recovery Center, we spend time with the patient to learn everything about their disorder. From there, we develop a plan towards treatment.
Treatment also means understanding and accepting this is a lifelong condition. Our knowledgeable staff at Clear Recovery Center can teach your loved one how to manage mood swings and other symptoms.
Treatment begins with medication and careful monitoring of medicinal effects. Medicine does not work for everyone. Professional supervision is necessary. It can help to determine whether this is a long-term solution for each patient.
Medications that help with bipolar disorder include:
- Lithium, which goes by brand names like Lithobid or Eskalith. This stabilizes moods during depressive or manic episodes.
- Atypical Antipsychotics. These can be combined with other drugs like Seroquel (quetiapine) or Risperdal (risperidone). These help to treat bipolar disorder symptoms.
- Anticonvulsants, anti-seizure drugs to help manage symptoms.
- The patient can take this specifically to treat depressive episodes. Combined with other medications, they can also address manic episodes.
Medication is used in accompaniment with behavioral therapy. Many people with bipolar disorder need individualized therapy. This helps them understand and accept bipolar disorder.
At Clear Recovery Center, some of our therapy programs include:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy
- Interpersonal therapy
- Family-focused therapy
Our therapy programs are what set Clear Recovery Center apart. Therapy is a critical part of any patient’s treatment plan. Each is designed to help that patient manage their disorder.
Some of these therapy programs include:
- Family-Focused Therapy. This form of therapy incorporates family members in building coping strategies. It works to create a cohesive family unit capable of supporting the person with bipolar disorder.
- Psychoeducation. This provides full education on the disorder and treatment options. It empowers the individual to recognize changes in behavior and take steps to manage them.
- Cognitive Behavior Therapy. This removes concerning choices and behaviors. The aim is to decrease negative thoughts that lead to bipolar episodes.
- Interpersonal and Social Rhythm Therapy. This involves strengthening interpersonal relationships for support. It empowers patients to manage daily life choices.
The programs are adapted to suit each patient. A treatment plan can also include substance abuse and addiction treatment, if applicable.
At Clear Recovery Center, we will determine the best route for your loved one’s recovery. Our compassionate approach will tackle the full scope of their physical and mental health. We’ll track progress and get your loved one ready to manage their illness.
How Bipolar Disorder Affects Sufferers
Without treatment, bipolar disorder can worsen over time. It can cause even further strain and turmoil in a person’s life. The episodes can lengthen and occur more frequently. This is especially true if bipolar disorder goes undiagnosed.
Sufferers can exercise poor judgement in a manic episode that leads to dangerous decisions. A person in a manic episode might see themselves as a superhero or invincible. This can lead to physically dangerous situations. A person in a depressive episode might have suicidal ideations and can potentially act on them. They can also become withdrawn and refuse to eat or sleep, further complicating physical effects.
In addition, bipolar disorder can go undiagnosed because it mirrors other illnesses. A co-occurring issue might be anxiety of substance abuse. Co-occurring disorders can strengthen thoughts of suicide and lead to very dangerous decisions.
Families are also sufferers of bipolar disorder. Relationships can be strained or even broken when a person is dealing with bipolar disorder. It is a complicated, life-long condition that requires understanding and education for everyone.
Our staff at Clear Recovery Center recognizes that family members are part of this healing process. We incorporate suffering family members into treatment plans.
WHAT WE TREAT
Co-occuring Addiction and Mental Health Issues
Substance use disorders can coincide with mental health or even multiple issues at once. That includes mood, developmental, eating, and behavioral disorders. Clear Recovery Center is equipped to handle a wide variety of co-occurring disorders.
Signs That You Are Suffering with Bipolar Disorder
Bipolar disorder can be devastating when untreated. The number and frequency of episodes vary based on the type of disorder your loved one is experiencing. The symptoms tend to be consistent across the episodes with the severity ranging based on type.
Bipolar disorder breaks down into three specific types. These include rapid-cycling bipolar, Bipolar I, and Bipolar II. Each requires its own approach to treatment:
- Bipolar I Disorder. This constitutes a mix of manic and depressive episodes. Manic episodes can last one week, and depressive episodes last two weeks or more. Manic episodes can be intense enough to warrant immediate medical attention.
- Bipolar II Disorder. This involves more severe depression episodes and less severe mixed or manic episodes. The severity of the episodes is in comparison to Bipolar I.
- Not Otherwise Specified Bipolar Disorder. This is also known as BP-NOS. Patients receive a BP-NOS diagnosis when their actions and symptoms are not normal but do not meet criteria for Bipolar II or Bipolar I.
- Cyclothymic Disorder. This is also known as cyclothymia. It presents as mild mania and depression episodes occurring over two years.
- Rapid-Cycling Bipolar Disorder. This diagnosis is for people suffer from four or more episodes of mania, depression, or a mix within one year.
If you believe your loved one might suffer from any of these types of bipolar disorder, give us a call.
We are equipped to help you and your loved one deal with bipolar disorder in South Bay, California. Our years of experience dealing with bipolar disorder mean our professionals are both prepared and ready to start on the journey toward recovery with you and your loved ones.
We never make assumptions about a person’s life or experiences and pride ourselves on being providers of outstanding mental health care that is both effective and long-lasting. Find out for yourself how we can help you manage bipolar disorder today.
Break the cycle of addiction. Develop tools needed to reintegrate. Create a happy healthy productive life.
PPOs accepted. *HMOs through HFM Network accepted and more to come.
Full Range of Recovery Services
Redondo Beach Location
201 Herondo Street
Redondo Beach, CA 90277
Manhattan Beach Location
515 N Sepulveda Blvd Suite B
Manhattan Beach, CA 90266
Tuesday : 9AM–8PM
Wednesday : 9AM–8:30PM
Thursday : 9AM–8PM
Friday : 9AM–8PM
Saturday : 9AM–6PM
Sunday : Closed